
HAPPY 223 rd BIRTHDAY AUSTRALIA!
Wow....that's old. Only a baby in country years, though.
Yes, it has been 223 years since the first fleet of prisoners landed on the shores of Botany Bay, New South Wales.
My own great, great, great (I don't know how many greats) grandma was actually sent to Australia for stealing a blanket to keep her babies warm-RUDE!
(Rude of the British that is, for sending her away)
What mother wouldn't steal to keep their angels warm I say. Quite frankly, I'm glad she did it. For the babies' sake and mine. I am happy to have been born in the land down under-as you call it.
Wait..What???We never thought of ourselves as down under. Under what?
Anyway I hope all the Aussies have a fantastic day on the beach, playing cricket, having barbies (no shrimp-we call them prawns),lazing in the sun.

I'm thankful the sun decided to show itself here today in celebration.
I, myself had a happy Aussie day. Yesterday I went to tell Crazy's second grade class about Australia and that was actually the real Australia Day. (They are about 17 hours ahead)
They are learning about immigrants to the U.S.
Hmmmm. Never considered myself an immigrant-not that there is anything wrong with that.
AND
Today I visited with some lovely ladies from our neighborhood and we talked about their experiences in
Australia.
I know Oprah is all things Australian right now. Even though the Aussies spent $4m to get her there. All in the name of tourism. She did spend some of her own cash, so maybe I won't be so quick to doubt the sincerity of her love fest.
The only down side, I am all out of Vegemite. Grrr
AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH! I could have brought you vegemite as well as the Cadbury's!!!
ReplyDelete